Scrollbars are an essential part of every modern web browser due to the sheer amount of window sizes that browser's support. If a website cannot be displayed fully on the screen because it is larger than the window or screen size, scrollbars are usually displayed to take that into account and provide users with options to access all contents of the site with the input device of choice.
The scrollbar in addition can help with orientation on a website, as you know where you are in relation to the top and bottom of the page (and left and right).
Despite being essential, scrollbar styles have not really changed in recent time. That does not mean that you cannot modify how the scrollbar looks like in your browser of choice, only that you need to either use extensions to modify its style and size, or CSS styles directly.
Rescroller for Google Chrome provides you with detailed scrollbar customization options. It allows you to modify the following parameters:
- The size of the scrollbar from hiding it completely to real big (30px). You can furthermore black list sites that you want to use the default formatting on.
- Change the colors of the scrollbar. This includes the main color, as well as colors for shadow and border effects. You can alternatively replace the solid scrollbar color with an image, and that is possible for vertical and horizontal scrollbars separately.
- Add rounded corners to the scrollbar.
- Customize the scrollbar style (color, images and shadows) when hovering or clicking.
- Change the background color of the scrollbar, or use an image for it as well. Again with shadow, border and main color options, rounded corners, and options to customize styles when hovering or clicking.
- Add scroll buttons to the top, bottom, right and left of the scrollbar so that you canc lcik on those to scroll.
- Apply custom CSS code, sub-background and corner colors.
The extension will override all scrollbars, even those that use custom styles, unless you have added a website to the blacklist.
The Rescroller extension leaves little to be desired. It enables you to remove scrollbars completely if you want to, or modify them to your liking. The extension is easy to configure and if something goes wrong, all you have to do is click on the reset formatting button to start anew.