4Chan Plus For Google Chrome, Improves 4Chan's Usability
4chan, love it, hate it or be indifferent to it. The web forum is one of the most controversial websites on the Internet right now because of its (almost) anything goes policy.
The website itself feels dated on the other hand, especially the way threads and forums are displayed to the user.Â Issues that users may experience include lack of distinction between different threads on category pages, a color scheme that is not to everyone's liking, or embedded images that don't look too well at times.
4Chan Plus is a Google Chrome extension that adds many features and options to the 4chan website that improve the website's usability. All features of the extension are optional which means that users can make use of them but do not have to. It is a pick the ones you like and leave the ones you don't need or don't like disabled.
Lets take a closer look at the features:
- Hover on images - Grab the full image and display it on mouse over directly on the same page without loading another one. Option to preload images on request or always. Option to replace thumbnails with the large versions automatically.
- Expandable images - Open images in a new tab on double-click. Option to define the size of that image (original, fit screen, custom size)
- Post Preview - Displays referenced posts on mouse over.
- Show the number of unread posts in the titlebar
- Autofetch new posts - Set to every 3 seconds by default, can be changed to every second or every 10 seconds. Autoscroll when new posts appear, scroll quick-reply box with auto-scrolling.
- Quickreply - Activate on board pages and within threads, remove original box.
- Backlinking -- To go back quickly.
- Smartbar - Displays information and options at the bottom of the screen, for instance to preload or expand images, see the number of replies, favorite it or reply.
- Content features - Play YouTube videos directly on 4chan, make links clickable and restore original filenames of images.
All settings are optional and it is up to you to keep everything that is enabled by default enabled or turn specific features off so that they are not being used.
Some may be problematic. The automatic thread updating for instance updates thread every 10 seconds by default which may be too fast depending on the thread that you are viewing.
The Chrome extension makes life on 4chan a lot easier, especially for regulars who use the site actively.Â It adds image preview options, may embed YouTube videos and Soundcloud sound files on the page, or preload content for faster access.
Chrome users can install the 4Chan Plus extension directly from the official Google Chrome extensions gallery.Advertisement