Apps For uTorrent Overview
A web based extensions framework has been integrated into developer versions of uTorrent some time ago, offering the prospect to extend the basic functionality of the Bittorrent client in the future.
Apps for uTorrent are currently only available in the latest developer releases of the p2p client. The first version with integrated apps was uTorrent 2.2 beta with four applications in total.
The latest uTorrent 3.0 alpha ships with a total of ten apps, of which most can be installed from within the client. This article acts as an overview to provide uTorrent users with information about the apps that can be installed.
An experimental uTorrent client that only works on English language systems is required to work with apps in the software program. The latest version is always available at the Project Griffin project page.
The interface of uTorrent 3 looks different than that of previous versions. A sidebar is displayed consisting of search functionality, the torrent listing, feeds and apps.
A click on Apps displays all available applications that can be installed. Most apps are directly installed in uTorrent, some like TuneUp, trigger an external installer.
- Outspark - direct links to MMO game clients
- ClearBits Featured - Offers direct access to Clear bits open licensed digital media, mostly music albums and movies.
- uMap - utilizes Google Maps to display the locations of connected peers on a world map.
- uBrowse - a local file browser to quickly access downloaded files directly from within uTorrent.
- Tetronimoes - play Tetris in the uTorrent client.
- TuneUp - fixes mislabeled music, adds cover art, displays concert alerts.
- Virus Guard - virus protection, will scan downloads directly in the Bittorrent client
- Raptr Free Games - play free games in uTorrent, great to pass the time.
- uGadget - adds torrenting features to Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox, ability to monitor and control torrent downloads in the browser.
- VODO - offers direct free movie downloads shared by their creators.
Currently there are three types of applications in the apps gallery: Applications that are directly torrent related, like the virus scanner or uMap, apps that add torrent selections directly in the client, like Vodo or ClearBits, and applications that add torrent unrelated features like the gaming apps.
Installed applications are displayed in the sidebar from where they can be selected easily. App development will take off once the first final version of uTorrent containing the apps feature is released. Apps in the long run will increase the popularity of the Bittorrent client further.Advertisement