Getting Things Done Gmail Firefox Extension
The title could be a bit misleading, GTDGmail is a Firefox extension that adds additional functionality to your Gmail account. Getting Things Done is a productivity concept that aids you in organizing your tasks: "a person needs to move tasks out of their mind and get them recorded somewhere. That way, the mind is freed from the job of remembering everything that needs to be done, and can concentrate fully on actually performing those tasks"
GTDGmail adds several new features to your Google Mail account like advanced labels, a tasks list that is always in view, the ability to save specialized searches and to send new tasks to your account.
Labels are structured into statuses, contexts, projects and references.
- Status simply describes the current status of the task, is it finished or should it be the next action that you perform?
- Context is the context that you have to be in to complete the task. A task that would require a computer for instance could have either the Desk, Home or Office context associated with.
I think some screenshots might help understand the concept, let us take a look at some screenshots:
I suggest you install the application and play around with it a little bit. It might look confusing but once you actually use it you will soon realize that this is a great time safer.
Update: Getting Things Done Gmail has been renamed to ActiveInbox. The developer are still offering a free version of the plugin for Chrome and Firefox, but also a commercial plus version that ships with additional features.
Its main advantages:
- Empty your inbox using advanced tools the extension provides you with.
- Tasks are turned into deadlines so that you do not miss a single one ever.
- Emails can be organized in various ways.
- Integrate third party tools in your workflow.
Here is a video that explains major concepts of the plugin.
One of the things that you can do with Active Inbox is to add a status to each email, for instance waiting on or same day, and bring those emails back on time with deadlines. You can also export the tasks to Google Calendar where you will also be reminded of it in time.Advertisement