Mozilla Firefox 95.0 release: here is what is new
Firefox 95.0's release date is December 7, 2021. It is the last major stable release of Firefox in 2021. Firefox 95 includes several new features and improvements, but also bug fixes and security patches.
The other Firefox channels, Firefox Beta, Dev and Nightly, Firefox ESR and Firefox for Android, are also updated around the same time of a new stable release.
Firefox Beta and Developer editions are moved to version 96, Firefox Nightly to version 97, and Firefox ESR to version 91.4.
You can check out the release overview for Firefox 94.0 here.
- Firefox is available on the Microsoft Store officially now.
- The new release reduces CPU usage and power usage on Mac OS X in some use cases.
- Site Isolation is enabled for all users.
Firefox 95.0 download and update
Firefox 95.0 is downloaded and installed automatically on most devices that run the browser. Desktop users may run manual checks for updates to get the version as early as possible, Android users will have to wait until Google Play pushes the release to their mobile devices.
On desktop systems, select Firefox Menu > Help > About Firefox to display the version of the browser that is installed currently, and to run a manual check for updates.
- Firefox Stable download
- Firefox Beta download
- Nightly download
- Firefox ESR download
- Firefox for Android on Google Play
Firefox 95.0 new features and improvements
RLBox sandboxing technology for all platforms
RLBox is a new sandboxing feature that Mozilla integrated in Firefox 95. It is designed to "isolate subcomponents to make the browser more secure". Mozilla developed the technology in collaboration with researchers at the University of California San Diego and the University of Texas.
RLBox isolates the following five modules in Firefox Stable in this initial version: Graphite, Hunspell, Ogg, Expat and Woff2. Mozilla notes that the technology allows Firefox to treat the modules as untrusted code, which, provided that the implementation is correct, could protect against 0-day vulnerabilities in the browser.
Check out the article about RLBox on the Mozilla Hacks website for additional details.
Site Isolation in Firefox Stable
Originally scheduled for Firefox 94, Site Isolation should now be available to all users of Firefox Stable. Here is the info that I wrote for the Firefox 94 release article:
Mozilla started to test Firefox's Site Isolation feature in Firefox 70, and rolled it out in Firefox Nightly in September 2020. Called Project Fission internally, site isolation aims to improve privacy and security significantly by isolation webpages and third-party iframes.
Site Isolation builds upon a new security architecture that extends current protection mechanisms by separating (web) content and loading each site in its own operating system process.
This new security architecture allows Firefox to completely separate code originating from different sites and, in turn, defend against malicious sites trying to access sensitive information from other sites you are visiting.
- The Picture-in-Picture button can now be moved to the opposite side of the video.
- CPU usage of Firefox on Mac OS X and Windows Server is reduced during event processing.
- Power Usage of Firefox on Mac OS X is reduced, especially when fullscreen mode is enabled (including when watching video streams, e.g. on Netflix or Amazon Prime).
- The global attribute inputmode is now supported on all platforms and not just on Android. It provides hints about the virtual keyboard that is best suited for a specific task.
- The Crypto.randomUUID() function is now supported. This returns a cryptographically strong 36 character fixed-length UUID
- The CSS cursor property is now supported on Firefox for Android
Not published yet.
- Users of the JAWS screen reader and ZoomText magnifier don't have to switch applications after starting Firefox in order to access the browser.
- ARIA switch role states are now reported correctly by Mac OS VoiceOver.
- Faster content process startups on Mac OS.
- Memory allocator improvements.
- User-Agent override for Slack.com, which allows Firefox users to use more features, e.g. Call features, and access Huddles.
Security updates / fixes
Security updates are revealed after the official release of the web browser. You find the information published here after release.
Firefox 95.0 is the last 2021 release according to the schedule. It is possible that a minor update will be released, but the next major version of Firefox, Firefox 96.0 Stable, lands on January 11, 2022.
Recently Reviewed Firefox extensions
- Image Load Control is a simple image blocker for Firefox
- Progressive Web Apps for Firefox Extension
- The Stream Detector: detect and copy Stream URLs for use in other programs
Recent Firefox news and tips
- Create custom Firefox installations with Firefox Profilemaker
- Firefox may soon paint all sites in dark or light mode, if you want
- Firefox Monitor may remove personal information now from the Internet
- Firefox Multi-Account Containers requires permissions to exchange messages with other programs; Don't panic, it's related to Mozilla VPN
- Mozilla bans the FVD Speed Dial extension and removes it from Firefox; but users are furious after losing their bookmarks
- Mozilla is ending support for Firefox Lockwise
- Mozilla launches Firefox Relay Premium
Additional information / sources
- Firefox 95 release notes
- Firefox 95 for Developers
- Firefox for Enterprise 95 - release notes
- Firefox Security Advisories
- Firefox Release Schedule