Mozilla Firefox 99.0: here is what is new
Mozilla released Firefox 99.0 Stable, Firefox 91.8.0 ESR and Firefox 99.0 for Android on April 5, 2022 to the public. The new release includes security fixes, sandbox strengthening on Linux devices, and support for autofill and capture of credit card data in Germany and France.
All development channels are also updated. Firefox Beta and Developer editions are upgraded to version 100.0, and Firefox Nightly is moved to 101.
- Firefox 99.0 and Firefox 91.8 ESR include security fixes.
- Firefox's Linux sandbox has been improved in this release.
Firefox 99.0 download and update
Here are the links to the official download repositories.
- Firefox Stable download
- Firefox Beta download
- Nightly download
- Firefox ESR download
- Firefox for Android on Google Play
Firefox 99.0 new features and improvements
Firefox on Linux includes an improved sandbox. The change limits the access of processes that are exposed to web content so that they no longer have access to the X Window system (X11).
- Credit Card autofill and capture is supported in Germany and France in the new release.
- The keyboard shortcut n toggles the Narrate feature in Reader Mode.
- Search support with and without diacritics in the PDF Viewer.
- navigator.pdfViewerEnabled is now enabled, and is the recommended way to determine whether a browser supports inline display of PDF files when navigating to them
- Firefox supports the RTCPeerConnection.setConfiguration() method now.
- The Network Information API is disabled by default on all platform because it "it exposes a significant amount of user information that might be used for fingerprinting".
- An issue with Outlook Web Access was resolved that caused some fields to work improperly.
- Fixed the ability to install add-ons from addons.mozilla.org if install_sources in ExtensionSettings specified a different source.
Gallery Mode in the Zoom web client is accessible in Firefox, but video may not work always with "breakout rooms in gallery mode". The issue may be resolved by leaving the room and re-entering it.
Security updates / fixes
Security updates are revealed after the official release of the web browser. You find the information published here after release.
Firefox 99 is the last major two-digit release of the browser. The next release is Firefox 100, which will be out on May 3, 2022 according to the schedule. There is the chance that some site functionality may break, for instance, when sites parse the user-agent string of Firefox incorrectly. System administrators may use the network.http.useragent.forceVersion preference to keep the version in the user agent below 100.
Firefox extension reviews and news
- Cookie Block corrects GDPR violations in the browser
- Video Ad-Block for Twitch extension banned from Chrome and Firefox for redirecting users and injecting referral links
- LibRedirect loads privacy-friendly sites automatically when you load YouTube, Search, TikTok and other sites
- Virus scanning service VirusTotal releases VT4Browsers extension for Chrome and Firefox
- Meta releases Code Verify extension for WhatsApp Web
- uBlock Origin is now the most popular Firefox add-on
Recent Firefox news and tips
- Each Firefox download has a unique identifier
- Firefox 100 requires the Windows Update KB4474419 on Windows 7
- Firefox 100 is getting AV1 hardware decoding support on Windows
- Firefox 98.0.2 fixes a crash on Windows, an add-ons issue, and more
- Firefox 98.0.1 removes Yandex Search and Mail.ru search providers
- Firefox now displays subtitles for videos in Picture-in-Picture mode in the Nightly channel
Additional information / sources