Thunderbird 78.7.1 released with CardDAV improvements
Thunderbird 78.7.1 is now available; the new stable version of the email client includes fixes, CardDAV improvements, and a change that affects extensions that use legacy APIs.
Thunderbird 78.7.1 can be downloaded from the official project website or installed via the email client's automatic updating functionality. Select Help > About Thunderbird to make use of the latter (may need to press the Alt-key to display the menubar), or run the setup file after the download completes to upgrade the existing version to the latest.
The About Thunderbird window displays the currently installed version; use it to verify it.
The new minor version includes a single new feature, the ability to use OAuth2 and Google Contacts with CardDAV address books.
Thunderbird users can install extensions such as CardBook to add new address books using CardDav and other standards.
The official release notes provide an overview of all the changes. Noteworthy for Thunderbird users with extensions installed is that the installation of extensions that use legacy APIs is no longer allowed in the new version.
Thunderbird will no longer allow installation of addons that use legacy APIs.
The number of extensions affected by the change is unclear, and it is not clear either how already installed extensions are handled by the email client after the installation of the update; will extensions with legacy APIs be uninstalled automatically?
The release notes list five fixes for issues:
- Fix for Command-Enter not sending messages on Mac OS X devices. Thunderbird users may use Ctrl-Enter on Windows/Linux or Command-Enter on Mac to activate the send function of the email client.
- Fix for OpenPGP failing to save attachments with binary data after decryption.
- The Send message button remained activated sometimes even though it should not be.
- Global search user interface fixes, not specified.
- Theme and color fixes to "improve ease of use", also unspecified.
Now You: did you notice any issues with extensions after installation of the latest version?Advertisement