What would you like to see in Windows 9 / Blue?
Rumors have it that Microsoft is already working on the next version of Windows, and while it is not clear if it will be called Windows 9,Windows Blue or something completely different, it appears as if it could be released as early as next year. An early release would be a fundamental change to the development cycle of the operating system. It took Microsoft five years to create Vista for instance, and almost three to create Windows 7 and Windows 8. A less than two year development cycle likely means a refresh of the existing OS instead of a complete redesign or fundamental changes made to it.
The most likely scenario is that Microsoft will refresh Windows 8 by adding, removing and tweaking parts of the operating system that could do better. It is unlikely that the system will ship with a feature set that will blow the mind of Windows users from all over the world, more likely are marginal changes made to it, especially if it will launch next year.
It is also unlikely that Microsoft will revert from the path it has taken with Windows 8, which may mean that we do not get the start menu back, that the start screen will remain the main hub of the system after boot, and that focus will be on Windows Store and the apps it makes available.
As far as I'm concerned, I'd like the company to make a couple of changes to the operating system that have bothered me quite a bit. Here is a short list of what I'd like Microsoft to improve in Windows Blue / Windows 9 / Windows 8 Refresh.
- Windows Store needs better sorting algorithms, options to follow developers, track apps, display changelogs more easily.
- The Charms Bar is something that I can't get used to at all. It is highly impracticable on a desktop system and an alternative would improve my workflow quite a bit.
- If the start screen is the center of the system, I'd like more customization options. Let me add more icons per row or column, let me scroll horizontal or vertical, and give me freedom to select icons and backgrounds I want. Ideally, give users a choice to boot to the start screen or to the desktop.
- Let me turn off the hot corners.
- Let me manage app settings from a control panel and not only the Charms Bar when the app is loaded.
- Implement Microsoft EMET into the system.
Besides the start screen and missing start button, is there anything that you would like to see in the next installment of the Microsoft Windows operating system?Advertisement