NoCrap Removes Annoyances From Google Search
Google in recent years has started to make many modifications to Google Search, from auto suggestions over live previews to Google Instant. Not every user likes all or even any of those changes which makes those features highly annoying in the eyes of those users. I even know a few who switched to another search engine such as Bing because they did not like how Google changed their search engine.
The biggest issue for many is the fact that the majority of features cannot be disabled if you do not want to use them. It is either an all or nothing deal, unless you happen to run across programs that make the necessary modifications for you.
NoCrap Google Search Bar injects itself on Google Search pages. You will see two search forms on the Google homepage, and only the NoCrap search form on results pages.
You will notice two things right from the start:
- The Google header bar has been removed. A click on the x icon hides the custom search form so that the standard header is again displayed on the screen.
- Menus to customize the search are displayed right beneath the search form. Here you can select the number of results per page, safe or unsafe search, whether you would like to only see specific result types (e.g. images or video), the time span, language and format.
You can configure default parameters in the userscript settings.
You may also notice that searches are always enclosed in double quotes automatically which ensures that those terms need to be on all result pages.
NoCrap Google Search on top of that does away with many of the annoyances that one encounters on Google Search:
- Autocomplete disabled
- Google Instant disabled
- Live Preview disabled
- Personalized web search disabled
- Cache links show up again in the search results
- Links can now be copied directly, Google link manipulations on copy or mouse over are removed.
The search parameters do still work even if you clear all Google cookies. Users who have used custom parameters in the past know that clearing the Google cookies will reset the preferences to their default values.
NoCrap Google Search Bar is a useful userscript for Google users who want more control over their search result pages.Advertisement