Google Chrome, Problems Downloading Large Files
For the last days, the developer version of the Google Chrome web browser has had troubles downloading large files from the Internet. Downloads of files with a minimum size of 50 Megabytes, stopped abruptly at about 30 Megabytes.
Retrying the download yielded the same results. The first thought was that this was related to a single file or server, that acted up strangely.
But the problems persisted and after trying to download a dozen different files, all with a file size of 50 to 200 Megabytes, it became clear that Google Chrome was the problem.
Examples of files are the Emsisoft Emergency Kit with a size of 103 Megabytes, some Mediafire downloads with a size of about 180 Megabytes each, and downloads over at Softpedia, like Kaspersky's Small Office Security.
All downloads stopped at approximately the same size, 36.7 or 36.8 Megabytes. File extensions were also different, including archive formats like zip or executables like exe.
There does not seem to be a fix for this issue yet, and it is not clear if all Chrome versions are affected or only the latest developer release, version 6.0.466.0.
All downloads were completed successfully in other web browsers like Firefox, which seems to confirm that this is a Chrome-only problem. This also is the workaround for users who experience the same download problems.
The test system was running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. Have you been experiencing the same troubles? Let us know in the comments.
Update: The issue has been fixed in the latest Chrome dev release.Advertisement
I can’t confirm it
I successfully downloaded any files with latest stable release of Chrome, which is my primary browser on laptop
Which operating system are you using? Have you confirmed that you are using the same version?
I use 5.0.375.99 on Win7 RTM x86 with all important updates
Well, looks like bug is only in that DEV build
you must be using the dev version of chrome. I can confirm the dev version of Chrome has this problem. Stable Chrome doesn’t though.
I have seen the same behavior with chromium daily on lucid lynx
Yep confirmed :
confirmed, mine was stopped at 40 Mb, whatever file I downloaded.
I thought it was just me – using the latest dev build. My downloads stopped at 39.9M abruptly, but completed in another browser.
win7 32bit, chrome dev 6.0.466.0, running good so far – 61Mb of 700Mb downloaded and counting
I’ve had the same problem. All downloads were interrupted at exactly 25.6 mb. I’m running windows 7 x64 and I’ve tested same downloads on latest Firefox and Opera stable releases. Anyone came up with an solution?
I remember the same issue on older chrome dev releases. Few people said that creating new user profile could solve the issue but it didn’t work on my computer.
Yes, I have same problem :(
i am using 428 build atm and this works fine for me.
I have downloaded 200 meg files no probs
might stick with this build till you give the all clear
This lengthened my work yesterday by an hour or so, on Windows XP SP3.
Same problem here :(
tried to download 120 megs from MU and failed
This issue was fixed, will be available in the next Google Chrome Dev update.
It’s happening only with the dev version.
Official bug info @ http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=49216
I thought that download went way too quick. Downloaded new Nvidia drivers yesterday in Chrome, dev version, 150 meg file, stopped at 40. I was thinking that it stopped before done, but didn’t really check the file size til now, good thing I didn’t use the driver update file yet.
Confirmed, Google Chrome dev version, Win7 Ultimate x64
Confirmed issue with Google Chrome Dev 6.0.466.0 running Windows 7 64-bit and also on Windows XP.
The best becoming better
Google Chrome Dev 6.0.466.0 running Windows 7 64-bit… all I can get is 26Mb
I am able to work around this by using the IE Tab extension so initiate a download. Crappy, but it works.
Yep confirm in version …401.1
version 21.0.1180.89 m
Unreliable download behavior confirmed