Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Released
Microsoft has just released the second service pack for the Windows Vista operating system; users and admins can download Service Pack 2 for Vista as a standalone package or via Windows Update.
The standalone package includes the Windows Vista Service Pack 2 but also the second service pack for Windows Server 2008, a combined package so to speak.
The size of the 32-bit standalone package is about 302 Megabytes for the five language and 390 Megabytes for the seven language service pack and almost double that amount for the 64-bit standalone package which comes in sizes of 508 and 622 Megabytes.
The size of the Service Pack 2 is considerably smaller when downloaded over Windows Update with all downloads being less than 100 Megabytes in size for all supported editions. Microsoft created a What's New article at Technet which details the most notable changes that are introduced in Windows Vista Service Pack 2.
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 changes
Changes that benefit most users include the removal of the half open outbound TCP connection limit, support for Bluetooth 2.1, improvements to Wi-Fi connections and configurations, and the integration of Windows Search 4.0.
- SP2 adds support for the 64-bit central processing unit (CPU) from VIA Technologies, which adds the ID and vendor strings for the new VIA 64-bit CPU.
- SP2 integrates the Windows Vista Feature Pack for Wireless, which contains support for Bluetooth v2.1 and Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi Configuration. Bluetooth v2.1 is the most recent specification for Bluetooth wireless technology.
- SP2 improves performance for Wi-Fi connections after resuming from sleep mode.
- SP2 includes updates to the RSS feeds sidebar for improved performance and responsiveness.
- SP2 includes ability to record data to Blu-Ray Disc media.
- SP2 includes Windows Search 4.0, which builds on Microsoft’s search technology with improved indexing and search relevance. It also helps find and preview documents, e-mail (including signed e-mail messages), music files, photos, and other items on the computer.
The standalone Windows Vista Service Pack 2 can be downloaded from the following pages:
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 5-language (English, French, German, Japanese, or Spanish) standalone pack download
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 5-language DVD ISO download
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2 5-language 64-bit download
Please follow these links for additional information about the second service pack: