There are three types of bloggers. Those that do it for fun, those that want to become rich and those that do it because they want to market themselves. The first group can do whatever they want and will still be happy with it. The other two groups need knowledge about blogging if they want to become successful.
Someone who wants to earn money from blogging needs traffic more than anything else. It is not hard to put Google Adsense on a blog and earn money with it. The ad might not be optimized but it will still earn money if the blog receives traffic. Without traffic, there will be no money no matter how optimized or clever the ad unit placements are.
Blogging for a period of three years teaches a lot if you are eager to learn. Bloggers learn about search engine optimization which is a profession in itself, about monetization, about the blogging plattform, how to interact with visitors / customers / fellow bloggers and more.
It's a steep learning curve but if you master it you will be successful. Here are a few blogging tips that helped me a lot:
- Keep Going: That's the most important part of it all. Many bloggers give up after blogging for a few weeks because they cannot see that traffic comes in. No visitors equals low motivation and that's usually the point when they decide to quit.Some search engines apply an automatic filter to new websites (some call it sandbox) that prevents them from ranking for popular keywords to avoid spam. It is natural that new sites will not rank well for terms like business or credit cards while they will have lesser problem ranking for long tail keywords.
- Keywords: Speaking of which. Keywords are the essence of a blog. Search engines analyse blog posts and pick out keywords that they think the blog post is about. They then give the keyword a score and compare it to other sites that rank for that keyword and place the new website on a specific rank in the search engine for that keyword. Other factors may weight in like the new blog filter but that's basically how it works.If bloggers are serious about traffic generation they need to understand the keyword concept and how they do keyword research. Keyword research meaning to find profitable low competition keywords that the blog can most likely rank well for.
- Long Tail Keywords: Long Tail refers to keywords that are very specific and usually consist of a few words. Blog is not a long term keyword while How To Create A Blog is. Long Tail keywords receive less traffic than their more generic counterparts but that traffic is usually targeted.
- Build a Network: If you blog on your own you will miss opportunities. It is impossible keeping up with all the news and trends related to blogging. A network of bloggers that target the same niche can help each other in several ways. If they come upon an interesting topic or option they will inform their fellow bloggers about it. They can also promote the blogs of other network members in their own blogs.
- Don't read the Chows: Don't read the blogs of so called probloggers. The only thing they usually care about is their own bankroll. The products that they promote will earn them money because other bloggers will join or buy them because of their recommendations but there will be no or small gain for the little guy who bought the product. Their sites are about an image that they have to keep up and about upselling products to newbies. Stay away from them. Look at my link list for recommendations.
Here is a short link list:
- Google Adwords Keywords Tool (Keyword Research)
- Wordtracker Free Keywords (Keyword Research)
- SEO Quake (Firefox Extension)
If you read the three blogs posted above you will learn a lot in short time. Those are honest bloggers who do not try to sell you yet another "make money in no time" product that only works for them because they can sell it to you.
Seo Zombie is a site that I discovered a while ago and the guy does a good job as well, his Keyword Sniping Case Study sounds interesting and might be a great way to learn if he continues posting updates.
The keyword research tools are essential to discover keywords that can be target that pay well and have enough traffic to make them worthwhile.
Seo Quake finally is a Firefox extension that displays all kinds of "SEO" information like Pagerank, links and domain age on the screen.
If you have any questions about blogging let me know and I try to answer them.Advertisement
Courtney’s blog is one of the best SEO blogs around.
I have to agree by and large with you as far as the like of John Chow are concerned.
Glad to have that list of places to find information I need. I’ll gain a lot from them. What works for one person might not work for another but good to read them all.
hahaha… this is a good reading :D
i’ve been blogging for almost 3 years, and this post kinda reflect what i was doing since…
but with less effort and less $$$ in my pocket.
blogging here ‘n there…
thanks for the short links…
it adds mine, some of them i’ve known and some of aren’t :D
I think the probloggers have a great amount of information on their site, it is just all of their old posts. Now it is about look at my money and here is a technique that worked a year ago give it a try.
I will have to check out the blogs you listed thanks for that –
Kelvin i agree with you darren post are very informative and article motivate the newbie.
Liked this blog alot -Thanks! It gave some useful advice. Am adding this as a link on my blogging tips post -http://wp.me/sBO8v-splat