EverNote over OneNote
I never had any experience with using Microsoft OneNote before getting the Microsoft Office 2007 Home Edition.
Iâ€™m a university student and having spent a few weeks attempting to organise my notes with MS Word (Trial Edition) I was quite excited to discover this great note taking application. OneNote really is useful, but I just couldnâ€™t help feel as though it was a little overkill for me and how I would use it.
OneNote is targeted more at people working in business of course, which is shame because Microsoft is really losing out on the student market. In fact there are two main reasons I couldnâ€™t effectively use OneNote:
- Organisation: Like many students Iâ€™m very unorganised. In fact considering most students are, designing a note taking program with this in mind would be a good decision.
- Too much for too little: What other reason aside from lectures and tutorials would I use OneNote? Sure I tried using it for some other things as well, but really it just feels like too big an application for what I need it for.
I had a beta invitation to EverNote months ago, however based on reports of bugginess and performance issues I waited till the service has improved a little.
After the latest version 3.0 update yesterday I have begun to use EverNote for all my notetaking needs. I quickly discovered itâ€™s a fantastic application for what I need it for. Here is why:
- Synchronisation: EverNote is running a â€˜freemiumâ€™ model for their service. What? Pay?! Iâ€™m quite glad of this as it means EverNote is very likely to stick around as they have an actual business model! You will get 40mb free data synchronisation each month between different computers and mobile devices.
- Organisation: Is far easier and simpler, Use notebooks, tags and attributes to organise all your content. It is much quicker to just get in and start working and easier later to locate what you wrote through the search focused toolbar.
- Search in Images: It could still do with a lot of improvements but the Image searching feature of EverNote is pretty impressive. It will locate any text within any image you paste into your notes. You can also take screen clippings like OneNote which is handy.
In essence EverNote is a killer note taking product I couldnâ€™t recommend more.Advertisement