Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 1 released
Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 1 has finallyÂ been released - sort of - and can be downloaded from the Microsoft download website. The links are already up and it is only a matter of time when the links do not point to an "Ups sorry link not found message" but the real download link of the Office 2007 Service Pack 1.
I'm not sure why Microsoft decided to create the links first and wait with the page creation that those links lead to but it surely is annoying. The only link that is currently working is the Office Update link on the left side of the download center which requires a genuine Office 2007. The download links are not working right now.
Lets see what Microsoft has to say about the Service Pack 1 and the benefits for home users and businesses found in the Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 1 Whitepaper.
- By deploying the 2007 Office system SP1, home users and businesses can quickly reap benefits in the following areas:
- Stability. Using data from the Dr. Watson bug-reporting system, Microsoft fixed, at minimum, the five software bugs that most frequently caused each application in the 2007 Office system to crash. The 2007 Office system SP1 also improves the stability of server components in the 2007 Office system and compatibility with Windows ServerÂ® 2008, so companies can more confidently move forward with upgrade plans.
- Performance. The 2007 Office system SP1 improves performance in applications that are pervasive in modern offices, most notably: Microsoft Office ExcelÂ® 2007, Microsoft Office OutlookÂ® 2007, Microsoft Office PowerPointÂ® 2007, and Microsoft Office SharePointÂ® Server 2007.
- Security. By incorporating incremental advances in security and results from application testing, the 2007 Office system SP1 offers home and office users better protection against malicious software and potential threats to privacy
Here are my top picks that I think really make it worth to install the Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office:
- When inputting calculations that should result in numbers 65,534 through 65,536, Office Excel 2007 no longer returns the display error of 100,001
- Office Outlook 2007 no longer closes unexpectedly when the junk e-mail rule is set to null.
- Items moved from an offline folder file (.ost) to a personal folder file (.pst) now display properly in the preview pane.
- When users try to open a presentation in Office PowerPoint 2007 from a Web site using forms authentication, the presentation will now appear properly.
- With Office Word 2007, users can now open and edit embedded objects that contain other embedded objects.
- Office Word 2007 no longer prints an extra page when users choose a printer with the duplex option enabled.
- Improved performance in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 eliminates frustrating delays when opening large mailbox files and frees office workers to focus on important business tasks. The 2007 Office system SP1 makes it easier to open large offline folder files (.ost) and personal folder files (.pst) that are located directly on the userâ€™s machine.
Here are the direct links to the Service Pack 1 downloads, as mentioned above they are not active yet but will be later today. Update: We had to remove some links as they were not available anymore.
- Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 1
Visio 2007 Service Pack 1
Project 2007 Service Pack 1
- Calendar Printing Assistant for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office InterConnect 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office Project Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office Visio Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Microsoft Office Visio Viewer 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- The 2007 Microsoft Office Servers Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- The 2007 Microsoft Office Servers Language Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1), 64-Bit Edition
Update 2: Microsoft released the second and third service pack for Office 2007 in the meantime. Check out our review of the third Service Pack for Office 2007 here.
Update 3: Office 2007 support ended officially on October 10, 2017. The software continues to work, but Microsoft won't release security updates or other updates for it anymore (with the possibility of exceptions).
Office 2007 service pack and Visio 2007 service pack installs, respectively, failed miserably when I went to run them after downloading them to run locally.
Iâ€™m running Vista Business with IE7 and am fully patched according to Windows Update.
After each of these failed to install, I clicked on the report to microsoft button and have yet to receive any response.
Try as I might to support this new technology, it just isnâ€™t working for me, yet again. This is just another PoS from MS, IMNSHO.
I have downloaded and installed successfully.
Running on Vista Enterprise with SP1 RC.
I installed SP1 in the hopes that Outlook hangs would be addressed. I use RPC over HTTPS and thus have an OST file but do not use PST files for archiving emails. My OST is in the neighborhood 235MB so not large relatively speaking and periodically when opening emails or creating new ones or moving around in Outlook the appplication hangs. I’ve disabled most add ons but do use RSS for multiple feeds. During these lockups other applications work fine and CPU/PRocesor/Disk usage are all low… sigh.
Even Windows Update running on my Vista Business canâ€™t install this service pack after repeated tries.
Again, just another PoS that isnâ€™t ready for prime time – and Iâ€™m an MS partner thatâ€™s really trying to make this new software a selling opportunity, but I just canâ€™tâ€¦.
Install fails every time, plenty of Ram and space. Full pkg or update only. Vista Business with all latest patches.
SP1 Install fails every time – lots of space…tried via Office Update, Windows Update, your link & via microsoft’s baseline security – nada – fails every time.
This Service pack mostly will not install for Win XP Pro +SP1 users. The chances are on a scale of 1 to 100:-
70% The installation fails without explanation after a long installation period. message “installation failed”
20% The installation works but afterwards spellchecking is disabled and Outlook does not find the accounts previously created
10% It installs OK but there is no difference except spellcheck does not work.
Best you do not waste time trying to install it.
This is a classic case of ” If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
It occurred to me that the dual language capability of my version of Office 2007 might be the root of the problem I noticed that some menus in Control Panel are partly in French and MS told me this was normal).
So I installed
942470 Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 SP1 (for Office Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager) (KB942470)
Then I deleted the .dat file for Office 12 in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA. I reactivated Office..
The Service pack is now shown as installed.