How to disable the ad popup in AntiVir
AntiVir is one of the most popular free antivirus solutions out there right now for the Windows operating system. It's free for non commercial use and updates its virus definitions regularly just like the professional version. The free version however displays an advertisement popup after each update, usually at least once a day which can be really annoying.
The ad does not really change that often and there is not really a purpose in displaying it regularly to users in my opinion.
I would like to show you how to disable this advertisement without tampering with the rest of AntiVir. This workaround is only working under Windows XP.
- Run "secpol.msc" which opens the local security settings.
- Select software restrictions policy on the left and there additional rules.
- Right click in the window on the right and chose new path rule.
- Click on browse and navigate to avnotify.exe. (normally in program files/ AntiVir Personaledition Classic/).
- Select disallowed as the security level and hit ok to close the dialog.
We have not disallowed the execution of the program, and it is this file that is being used to show the ads. This should work for as long as Avira is not making modifications to the process.Â If that is the case repeat the steps to disallow the new named exe as well.
Update: Avira has changed the path of the program from version 9 on. It is now located in C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop.
A second option that you have, for instance if you do not have access to the local security settings for instance. In Windows Vista and newer Windows systems, you can right-click the avnotify.exe file and select Properties from the context options. Switch to the security tab in the window that pops up, and select Advanced there. Locate the permissions tab and there System. click Edit > Locate Traverse Folder / Execute File, select deny, and hit ok twice, then yes, then ok twice again.
Update 2: You may need to add the file ipmgui.exe to the list of blocked applications as well.
If you are using Windows Vista or newer, you can alternatively do the following if you have access to the Local Security Policy.
- Use the Windows-r shortcut to bring up the run box.
- Type secpol.msc and hit the enter key.
- Select Software Restriction Policies > Additional Rules.
- Right-click the item and select New Path Rule.
- Paste the full file path of avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe here.
- Set the security level to disallowed.