Is your phone or tablet getting the Android 5.0 update?
Google announced Android 5.0 Lollipop on October 15. It is the next major upgrade for Android that is supposed to launch in the coming weeks.
Android 5.0 is feature packed. It features a new Material Design user interface which can be best described as a refined Google Now interface with elements sliding on top and into each other.
The operating system features new animations and buttons, and new notificationsÂ as well.
As far as under the hood changes are concerned, Android Lollipop switches from the Dalvik runtime to ART by default which should improve performance significantly.
You find more information about Android 5.0 Lollipop on the official Android website.
The real question for Android phone owners and users is whether their device will receive the upgrade to version 5.0 or if they will be stuck with an earlier version instead.
There is no central registry that you can use to find out whether your device will be upgraded. Here is a short list of companies and phone models that will be upgraded. If you know of others that are not yet on the list let us know in the comment section below and we will add those to it asap.
The following Google devices will be updated to Android 5.0.
- Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10 and Google Play edition devices will receive the update in the coming weeks (November). (source)
- Google Play editions of HTC One M8 and M7, Samsung Galaxy S4, Moto G, Sony Z Ultra and LG G Pad 8.3.
HTC confirmed some device upgrades on Twitter when customers asked on the official channel about it. Updates will be rolled out within 90 days of receiving the final software from Google.
- HTC One (M8 and M7) will be upgraded, likely other One devices as well including the One mini and One mini 2. (source)
- Update: Schedule was posted by LLabTooFeR. HTC One M8 and M7 will receive update starting late November beginning December.Â HTC Desire Eye, HTC One M8 Dual Sim and HTC One M7 Dual Sim, HTC One E8, HTC One E8 Dual Sim and HTC Butterfly 2 receive updates from January on.
- HTC One Mini 2, Desire 816 from March
- HTC One Mac, HTC One Mini, HTC Butterfly S between March and May 2015.
Motorola announced on the official company blog that the following devices will receive the Android 5.0 upgrade.
- Moto X (first and second generation)
- Moto G (first and second generation)
- Moto G with 4G LTE
- Moto E
- Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx and Droid Mini
The company published a blog post on the official Sony Mobile website in which it revealed its plans to upgrade several of its devices to Android 5.0. Upgrades are expected to launch in early 2015 for Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z2 series.
- The entire (premium) Z series will receive the Android 5.0 upgrade including Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z3.
- Galaxy Note 4 and Edge
- Galaxy S5 (December)
- Galaxy S5 Dual Sim (January to February)
- Galaxy S5 Mini (January to February)
- Galaxy Alpha
- LG G3
- LG G3 LTE-A
- LG G3 Beat
- LG G3 Stylus
- LG G2
- LG G Pro 2
Companies who have not released statements yet
- Samsung has not published an official statement yet. It is expected that the company's most recent flagship phones will get the Android 5.0 treatment at the very least (Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3).
- LG has not confirmed upgrades either yet. It is expected that the LG G3 will receive the upgrade, and likely that other devices such as the G2 line will get it as well.
- ZTE has not provided any information on whether any of its phones will be updated.