If you have been plagued by beeping sounds while on Facebook, you have probably asked yourself what is going on and how to turn those sounds off when you are on the social networking site. Facebook is currently rolling out a new notification feature that plays a sound every time you receive a new notification. If you receive a couple a day, that is probably not such an issue for you, but if you receive hundreds, you probably want to block those sounds from playing before you go mad.
Thankfully though it is relatively easy to turn off the sound notification feature, provided that you know where to look for it in Facebook's settings. Let me walk you through the process.
- Open the Facebook website and click on the settings button on the very right of the top blue bar.
- Select Account Settings from the context menu.
- Locate Notifications on the left sidebar and click on the link.
- The first item under How You Get Notifications, On Facebook, has a view link at the very right. Click on it.
- You should see a short description and below that a check box that reads "Play a sound when each new notification is received".
- Uncheck that box and click on save changes afterwards.
Once you have made the change you should not notice any more beeps while on the site. Note that the feature is still rolling out so that you may have noticed sound notifications yet on the website.
There is a second setting for chat sounds and I can't really say if the new setting is just a duplicate of it, or if it covers other notifications on Facebook as well. When you open the chat window on Facbeook, you see a settings button on the top right. When you click on it, you see the chat sounds entry at the top. If it is checked, sound notifications are turned on for Facebook Chat.
Just click on the item to turn them off here as well to block these sounds from annoying the hell out of you. (via)Enjoyed the article?: Then sign-up for our free newsletter or RSS feed to kick off your day with the latest technology news and tips, or share the article with your friends and contacts on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ using the icons below.