There are a couple of scenarios where deleting privacy related tracks may make sense. Maybe you are using a public computer and do not want the next user to see where you have went or what you have done on the computer. Or you are sharing a PC at home or at work, or want to delete data before system admins get hold of it, or maybe you do not want to take any chances that police, law enforcement or your mum find out what you have been doing on your computer lately.
Anti Tracks is a sophisticated program for Windows that can take care of many privacy related tracks left behind on a Windows installation. It is in many regards similar to the popular CCleaner, but differs in terms of what can be cleaned and additional functionality.
The program walks you through a series of configuration windows on first start that you can use to configure initial settings. Here you can for instance configure which browser and Windows data you want cleaned up when you use it to delete temporary data and files.
Once done you are taken to the main program window.
Here you can select the following program options:
- Tracks Eraser - Deletes temporary data found on the system.
- File Shredder - Delete data permanently so that it cannot be recovered.
- Junk Files Cleaner - Scan for junk and obsolete files.
- Broken Shortcuts - Scan the system for broken shortcuts.
- Disk Wiper - Delete a disk securely so that data cannot be recovered.
- Empty Folders Cleaner - Find and delete empty folders on the system.
- Hide files and folders
- Passwords Wallet - A password manager.
- Disposable emails - Create new disposable email addresses.
- Panic Key - Hide anything you are watching or working on right now with the press of a button.
- Startup Manager - Manage programs that start with the operating system.
- Applications uninstaller - Remove installed programs from the system.
- System backups - Manage System Restore points.
The functionality is certainly impressive, especially if you have the intention to use several of the features it makes available regularly.
I ran into a couple of errors during tests which always displayed an error report and the option to send or exit the error notification. Especially the track eraser and junk file cleaner displayed errors, while other features worked just fine. I can't really say if this is a general issue with the program or if is limited to the test system or the Windows 7 Pro 64-bit operating system.
The program is not as easy to use as CCleaner but that is largely because of all of the features that it displays in the interface. This should not be a problem if you plan on use the program regularly, but it may take a couple of runs to get used to it.
Anti Tracks is a well designed program to remove privacy related data from the system. It offers features that CCleaner and other temporary file cleaners do not offer, like the generation of disposable email addresses or the panic button. If you are looking for a program that offers more tools than CCleaner then this is the program to take for a test ride.